How the Duct Tape Game is Played
For each team playing, you will need:
- A roll of duct tape
- A marker
- A poster board or flip chart
To promote communication and collaboration.
1. Set up: Take some of the duct tape and draw a circle about ten feet in diameter. Place a poster board or flip chart in the middle of the circle (one setup per team playing). Give each team a roll of duct tape and a marker.
2. Objective: To get the group to work together and draw a picture or a word on the poster board using only a marker and duct tape.
3. Draw a picture of a smiley face within ten minutes on the poster board using the marker.
4. The face, eyes and mouth are the basics that must be drawn within the ten minutes.
5. Any additional features on the face like hair, nose, ears, hats or jewelry are bonus points. 25 points awarded for each additional feature.
6. No one is allowed inside the duct tape circle. Fingers and hands are not allowed to cross the barrier of the circle.
7. No one can move the poster board from the middle of the circle. You may not remove the circle from the floor. No creative cheating, please.
8. Using the roll of duct tape and the marker, fashion a device that will allow you to suspend the marker into the circle, MacGyver style, and draw your smiley face
9. Everyone must participate in the drawing and building.
1. What were some of the ideas that were talked about before achieving your goal?
2. What kind of leadership characteristics did it take to have everyone participate to achieve this goal?
3. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, how would you rank the success of your team and why?
4. Anything that you would do different?